Emerald City Contra Dance
with the Seattle Folklore Society present
Contra dancing every Friday at the
6532 Phinney Avenue North, Seattle (98103)in the "Community Hall" (the brick building near the lower parking lot)Dance from 7:30pm to 10:00pm, beginner's workshop at 7:00
$9 general admission. $8 for SFS members, PNA members, and seniors. $5 for full-time students. Free for people under the age of 16.
First time contra dancers get a coupon for free admission to their next dance.
Coupon redemption limited to first five coupons on any single night.Follow us on Facebook. Find items that you left behind on Facebook.
Please help the PNA achieve their sustainability goals. Consider carpooling, walking, biking, or riding the bus to the dance. If you drive, please park in the PNA parking lots.Bands and callers, the 2017 booking form is now up.
Information for bands and callers.
Information for dancers.For information not already posted here: 206-440-9839 or email@example.com
All dances taught. No partner necessary.
Light, comfortable clothing recommended.
Please do not wear cologne, perfume or other strongly scented products. Thanks!Our hall has strict capacity limits. We occasionally need to limit entry due to high attendance.
Enough of the suggestions, disclaimers, and notifications. Here is what you really want to know...
Schedule of bands and callers:
- April 21 - Waxwings: Jesse Partridge (fiddle), Alex Sturbaum (guitar, accordion), Amy Englesberg (piano, accordion). They play energetic and driving music, offering a blend of traditional and original tunes with plenty of funk. They sound like three contra musicians trying to have as much fun as humanly possible and making sure everyone else does as well. Warning: several accordions could appear on stage. Emma Anderson calls.
- April 28 - Wake Up Robin (formerly Triple A) – Audrey Knuth (fiddle & feet), Andrew VanNorstrand (fiddle & guitar), Amy Englesberg (keyboard & accordion). Sarah VanNorstrand calls.
- May 5 - The Euphemists: Alan Snyder – fiddle; Dave Goldman – keyboard; Jerry Nelson - guitar & sax; Paula Hamlin - sax, flute, & whistle; Kaye Blesener – trombone. Dance to classic tunes arranged for the big band sound. Craig Wolfe calls.
- May 12 - The Hat Band – Jon Neff, Syd Newell, Bonnie Voss, & Michael Voss. Adam Carlson calls.
- May 19 - Coriolis - Victor Fiore, fiddle; Jon Neff, guitar; Dave Hamlin, mandolin. Laura Me' Smith calls.
- May 26 - No dance at Phinney.
Instead, dance at Northwest Folklife. Go to Seattle Center to dance for 4 days, meet a few hundred friends, and listen to thousands of performers.
- June 2 - Uncle Farmer: Ben Schreiber (fiddle) and Michael Sokolovsky (guitar and feet). Enjoy some original dance tunes, old favorites, pop rhythms, and some improvisating as well. If you haven't heard them yet, here are some samples. Susan Petrick calls.
- June 9 - InTentCity – Betz Richards (fiddle), David Richards (percussion), Graham Richards (guitar), and Seth Richards (bass & piano).
- June 16 - To be determined.
- June 23 - Group du Jour - Clyde Curley on fiddle, David Cahn on accordion, Jerry Gallaher on banjo, and Bill Meyer on piano.
- June 30 - To be determined again.
- July 7 - Back by popular demand... To be determined.
- July 14 - Contra Quartet is Jesse Partridge (fiddle), Jay Finklestein (guitar), Steve Cifka (cello), and Julie Bennett (percussion).
- July 21 - Cascade Crossing is Lori Prime on fiddle, Sarah Goss on whistle and oboe, and Rich Goss on guitar. Chuck Abell calls.
- July 28 - Susan Burke, John Whelan and Suzanne Taylor